Ontario Abandoned Places

Archiving over 9,000 locations from across Canada

Home

Forum

Search

User Search
stats
Stats



Simcoe House Hotel

Return to index of Springwater Township


Located in: Springwater Township
Location #1920
Public

To request this location be removed, submit a Report Location form.
Location Owner: oleboy
Creation Date: 8/31/2010
Last Updated: 4/6/2014



Description
Simcoe House Hotel (O'neil Tavern)

The present Simcoe House Hotel (O'neil Tavern) building is believed to have been built in 1882, on a tavern and halfway house that dated from around 1850.

Hillsdale is the half-way point between Barrie, on Lake Simcoe, and the Military and Naval establishment on Georgian Bay in Penetanguishene. The Simcoe House Hotel is considered to be the last remaining surviving stage coach stop.
The landowner Charles Davis is said to have hired William John Davenport in 1882 to build the structure. The Davenports were freed slaves who came from the United States and were Hillsdale's first settlers back in 1819.





Abandoned houses may be dangerous! Read the LEGAL DISCLAIMER.
Always obtain permission before entering someone else's property.


Status:
Status: Abandoned
Category: Motel/Hotel


Options:
View map
Geocaches
Who's Viewed
Create Photo Gallery
Edit Location

HAZARDS
None listed
We do not assume any responsibility for the accuracy of this information or for liability should you injure yourself.
Maps are only shown to logged in members.



Quick Winter Visit
Simcoe House Hotel
Created on:4/6/2014
Created by: Lovejoy
4 photos
Simcoe House Hotel
Simcoe House Hotel
Created on:4/8/2011
Created by: ehar
17 photos
Simcoe House Hotel
Simcoe House Hotel
Created on:8/31/2010
Created by: oleboy
5 photos