Ontario Abandoned Places
Archiving Canada's Abandoned Structures Before They're Gone


Province:

Location #:

Quick Search:


Return to index of Mapleton Township

Hollen (ghost town)
Located in: Mapleton Township
Location #1674
Public

To request this location be removed, submit a Report Location form.
Location Owner: jeepers
Creation Date: 6/13/2010
Last Updated: 7/29/2010



Description
Hollen is located in located in Maryborough Township., Wellington County. It began in 1850 when a man named Hugh Hollingshead built a grist and shingle mill along banks of Conestoga River.

The fertile land and river almost guaranteed an influx of prospective farmers to the area. In anticipation of the farmers arriving, Hollingshead laid out a town site consisting of 150 lots.

His ambition paid off. Within two years the town had grown to include a post office and general store. A second gristmill, sawmill and shingle factory were built by a Mr. George Henderson.



Post office/General Store

The post office opened on March 6, 1952 and was operated by a J. Hollen. There is some speculation as to whether the town was named after the postmaster or after Mr. Hollingshead. Other historians believe that Samuel Robinson was the first postmaster. The first item purchased from the store was an axe, a pound of tea and a bar of soap.

As the town's population began to grow, Hollen required additional resources. A schoolhouse was built in 1854 and it's first teacher would be a Miss Aaron Kells. Two more general stores opened in the 1860's, operated by T. Thompson and son. A pot ashery was also built which made soap from lye.

Capt. Thomas Thompson took over the General Store store and Post Office in the 1860's. His son, W. J. Thompson followed. James Alexander Brandon, a local miller, went on to look after the post office and grocery store around 1873 and remained there until he retired.

Churches

A key institution to any small town was that of the church. Until a church was built, the local school usually served as the meeting place for the town. It was used for music festivals, fairs and even funerals.

James Alexander Brandon served as the Township Justice of the Peace. He, along with his brother,Thomas E. Brandon, helped establish the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1862. It would later be renamed to Hollin Methodist Church. The church burned in 1915 and rebuilt within a year. A Presbyterian Church named Chalmers Presbyterian Church was built in 1867. The two congregations merged in 1925 to become the United Church.


Middle 1860's

As stagecoach travel was rough and exhausting, passengers would often stay overnight. Two hotels were built to accomodate them, one owned by Charles Forest and the other owned by George Wilson.

On April 30th, 1866 the first daily stagecoach with mail arrived. It was driven by four houses. This event became the talk of the town as the entire town waited for the stage on this memorial day. The mail coach would provide continued ferrying between Hollen, Stirton, Alma, Elora and Guelph.

By 1874 the town had grown to a sizable town of approximately 400 residents.

The general store now had two telephone lines. One connected to nearby Drayon. The other line was referred to as a 'squirrel line'. The squirrel line was shared by six homes: Jim Cunningham, Nellie Rogers, Richard Armstrong and Henry Franklin, and the two lines at the store. Ed Close relayed messages from one line to the other.

In 1909 the lines from Drayton, Hollen and Moorefield were amalgamated to become the Union Telephone Company.

Additional businesses

John Brady owned a wood working shop and a carriage factory. Mr. Matheson owned a tailor shop and Joe Abbot owned a shoemaker shop.

All that was about to change in 1874 when the Wellington Grey and Bruce Railway came through nearby Drayton. While the farmers held on to their land, the small town was already doomed. By 1880 the population stood at approx. 500 but three years later it fell to 150. By 1960 it was no more than 20 residents.

The cemetery which was opened in 1852 can be found at Con. 6, Lot 17.

All thats left is the cemetery; the town is beautiful and the lakefront is all cottages. the location is hwy 9 west of Arthur to sideroad 15 go south to Hollen road. The cemetery is on the left just before the Hollen sign.




Abandoned houses may be dangerous! Read the LEGAL DISCLAIMER.
Always obtain permission before entering someone else's property.


Status:
Status: Active
Category: Ghost Town

Links:

Options:
Who's Viewed
Create Photo Gallery
Edit Location

HAZARDS
None listed
We do not assume any responsibility for the accuracy of this information or for liability should you injure yourself.
No valid GPS data was provided.
Address: 8051 Hollen Road, Moorefield
Province: Ontario




Historical Photos
Hollen (ghost town)
Created on:7/29/2010
Created by: OAP
3 photos
Gallery
Hollen (ghost town)
Created on:6/30/2010
Created by: jeepers
8 photos