Abandoned McCormicks Candy Factory London Ontario

This is the abandoned McCormick’s Candy Factory in London, Ontario. It’s a widely known location among photographers and curious alike. The story of McCormicks begins in 1849.

In 1849 Thomas McCormick emigrated to Canada from Ireland. In 1858 McCormick begun the manufacturing of candy in a factory located on Clarence Street in London, Ontario. The company was incorporated under the name of McCormick Manufacturing Company in July of 1879.

When McCormick passed away in 1906 his sons took over the business. By 1912 a larger and more efficient plant was needed. Thomas McCormick Jr. visited over one hundred biscuit and candy factories to observe their architecture. With the assistance of the London architectural firm Watt & Blackwell, they created what was considered one of the most sanitary and fireproof factories in North America. 

The plant opened in East London on more than 100 acres of farm land known as Priest’s Swamp. 

McCormicks contained 1.5 million bricks, 800 tons of steel, 100,000 bags of cement and 45,000 square feet of glass. 68% of the exterior walls were glass to allow sunlight inside. A company brochure described the factory as a “sunshine palace”. 

The McCormick’s factory could produce 135,000 pounds of candy and 100,000 pounds of biscuits on a daily basis. As many as 1,000 workers were employed inside the factory. 

Prior to the First World War public concern about the purity of processed food prompted the government to increase its scrutiny of food manufacturing. McCormick’s was focused on maintaining a hygienic manufacturing process.

Employee amenities included large dining rooms, gymnasium, library, locker rooms, medical facilities and rest rooms. Outdoor tennis courts and a baseball diamond were part of the employee experience.

In 1926, McCormick’s Manufacturing purchased its competitor, D.S. Perrin and Company Ltd., and became the Canada Biscuit Company. The Canada Biscuit Company was sold during the 1940’s to George Weston Ltd. In 1990 the company was acquired by Culinar Foods of Montreal, and in 1997 by Beta Brands Inc.

McCormicks Candy Factory May of 1939
An old photo of McCormicks Candy Factory in London – May 1939
McCormick's Factory in 2010
2010 photo of McCormick’s Candy Factory

McCormick's Biscuit Factory in 2010

The following photos were taken in 2010. 

McCormick's Biscuit Factory in 2010

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)

Abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory front entrance (2010)
McCormicks Front entrance (now boarded up)

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)
The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)
McCormick’s lab

Abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory
allergen alert sign - McCormicks produced candy
Allergen alert

McCormick's Biscuit Factory
2013 photo

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)
2013 photo

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)
2013 photo

McCormicks rooftop photo (2010)
McCormicks rooftop

When the London factory shut down in the summer of 2008 it was still being operated by Beta Brands. At that time approximately 100 employees lost their jobs. 

McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London
Rooftop of McCormicks (2013) 

The roof is dangerous due to weak spots where you could fall through.

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

The abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory in London (2010)

Today the four-storey McCormick’s factory located at 1156 Dundas Street lies vacant, dark, with a lot to see and explore. There are several stories of homeless people living here and syringes to be found on the ground. I’ve yet to encounter anyone on my visits. 

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

Photos from 2015: 

Abandoned McCormick's Biscuit Factory

The first floor was usually accessible from one of the garage door entrances. The floor contained sugar silos, administrative offices and conveyor belt ovens. 

The second floor was used for the production of crackers. There was a laboratory on this floor as well. 

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

The third floor was for the production of chocolate and also contained the employee cafeteria. 

The fourth floor was for the production of candy. The fifth floor was used for producing jelly beans and also contained the executive offices and boardroom. 

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

McCormick's Biscuit Factory elevator

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

McCormick's Biscuit Factory

sugar silos
sugar silos

fisheye view of the McCormick Factory

The property was purchased by Sierra Construction of Woodstock for $1. The property will require approximately $8 million to clean it up. A portion of the rear of the property has already been torn down.

As of 2019 most of the rear of the factory has been demolished. Work is under way to convert the front of the building into housing.

Depending on the time of year, you might encounter homeless or drug users inside.

Further information regarding the McCormick Villages project, click here.

1 thought on “Abandoned McCormicks Candy Factory London Ontario”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *