Stirton began in the early 1860's.
In 1867, Charles Hendry opened a flax mill employing 60 workers. He also built a tannery and sawmill. Other businesses included the wagon maker, hotel, shoe maker, harness maker, school and Methodist church.
The post office was operated by John Sanderson. Samuel Crookshanks was the blacksmith and A. Grant manager of the flax mill. In it's prime, the town had a population of approximately 150 people.
When the Conestoga Dam was buil tin 1958, much of the original mill site was drowned.
Today, new country style homes are popping up in the area.
The Mooney family farm lies 2 miles North at Still's Corner. The old school was used until a new brick school was built on the 5th line (3rd con) in 1962. The old school would then be used as a reception hall.
Stirton is located in Mapleton Township of Wellington County (north of Kitchener Waterloo). Take Wellington Road 11 south of the village of Drayton.