Ontario Abandoned Places

Over 8,000 Canadian Locations for Urban Explorers
Ghost Towns. Churches. Time Capsules. Mansions. Hospitals. Rural and Industrial Decay.

PAKESLEY


Location
PAKESLEY (GHOST TOWN)
Database location #189
Public Location
Author
Created by OAP (CONTACT)
This member has donated.
Creation Date: 1/1/2006
Last Photos Uploaded: 1/1/2006

Information
EDIT THIS ENTRY
This was the destination point for lumber from the Lost Channel mill. In 1912, the CPR line was established which linked Bolton to Sudbury. The Schroeder Mills and Timber company created a spur line to the CPR railway, named the Key Valley Line. Pakesley was the junction point for the railway to the CPR line.

The lumber was cut at Lost channel east of Pakesley but needed a way to be shipped out. In 1919, Schroeder Mills and Timber created the lumber yard at what is now Pakesley. At this site a post office, store, hotel, restaurant and an Ontario Department of Lands and Forests fire headquarters was erected. This was a watchtower and rangers station.

A two story red railway station was built near the tracks, where the agent and his family slept. In addition, three boarding houses, two office buildings, stables and a warehouse were built. Not all workers lived in the boarding houses. Some workers built homes near the railway for their families. For the children, a school was built.

By 1924, the population stood at approximately 150 people. As there were more travellers, the CPR expanded their facilitiy to a seven room train station.

With the effects of the depression now being felt by all, by 1933, Lost Channel was no longer in business. The lumber yard at Pakesley still contained 40 million feet of wood which had to be sold at reduced prices. Pakesley lasted however, until the 50's as the Lands and Forests continued to maintain their fire tower.

Then the hotel closed as did the post office in 1950. The fire tower was closed by 1958 and the station torn down in 1971 as is CPR pratice.

Location: Take highway 522 off of Highway 69 (about 80km north past Parry Sound). The site is at the railway crossing (which has warning lights). It is hard to miss.

* In the middle of the 1900's other ghost towns listed on this site also had a Department of Lands and Forests' fire tower lookout located on a nearby hill. These include: Pakesley, Key Junction, Key Harbour, Dufferin Bridge, Bummer's Roost, Pickerel Landing, Lost Channel, Byng Inlet, Moon River, Cheddar, Germania, Ormsby, Uphill, Biscostasing, Renabie Mine, Milnet, Armstrong, Metagama, Cheminis, Wavell and Pineal Lake . For more info. on Ontario's Fire Tower Lookouts go to this link: Ontario's Fire Tower Lookouts.

Options
map this location

Geocaches


WrecksdaleWreck says:
10/28/2012 10:33:57 PM
Schroeder Mills & Timber Co. contracted the sawmilling to Lauder, Spears and Howland. Lauder and Spears previously owned a sawmill at Wilberforce and L.B. Howland former manager of the IB&O insisted on building a railway from Pakesley to the new mill at Lost Channel.
WrecksdaleWreck says:
10/28/2012 10:20:21 PM
The CPR railway between Sudbury and Bala was opened to traffic in June 1908 and 11 months earlier between there and Bolton.
Show All comments

On 9/17/2012 9:20:28 PM user clay70 changed the following: city, description

She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes

This barn almost went unnoticed were it not for the lack of leaves on the trees.

This was the school house

Ruin beside the tracks.

A very old car rusting near the barn.


Schroeder's
Mill


Cellar door near ruins

The second ruin near the tracks.

 


Summer 2007


Pakesley townsite during it's prime

Courtesy: William Crozier

Pakesley's "original"
railway station

A cabin at Kirtons island near Pakesley in 1930

"Mrs. Courtney and her pets. Ka-Wig-A-Mog Fur Farms. Pakesley, Ont"
1920's