Old Don Jail - Toronto

Discovered by Shoebox
Created Aug 02 2013
Recent status Repurposed
Category Correctional
City Toronto, Ontario
Location # 8315

Old Don Jail in Toronto, Ontario, once housed some of the nastiest criminals in Canada. It was built between 1862 and 1865 (predating Canadian Confederation by two years) with most of the current jail facilities being built in the 1950s. Designed by architect William Thomas in 1852, its distinctive fa?ade in the Italianate style with a pediment central pavilion and vermiculated columns flanking the main entrance portico is one of the architectural treasures of the city and one of the oldest pre-Confederation (1867) structures that remains intact in Toronto. It opened its doors in 1864 and closed in 1977. The main entrance and other parts of the jail have been repurposed as the Administration/reception wing of Bridgeport Hospital. Originally constructed to house 276 prisoners. Twenty-six men were hanged on the jail?s indoor gallows. The jail saw three double hangings

Latlng: (43.664976, -79.354689)

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

avatar of mobileworks
mobileworks nice effects , good set, great website.
Aug 06 2013