Latlng: (44.476233, -77.043231)

Other Locations near
Stone Mills

Erinsville Station

Stone Mills, Ontario

Location Owner ora
Creation Date Jun 10 2015
Status Historic Location
Category Railway
Location Stone Mills, Ontario
Site number #12223

From the plaque: This station, built in 1889, was one of six identical stations constructed by the Rathburn Company of Deseronto when they extended a new rail line from Tamworth, which opened in 1884, to Bannockburn, now on highway 62. It was ideally located on flat land at the crossing of the Addington Road on the south shore of Beaver Lake and near the old colonization road. Its exterior stucco walls are supported by three courses of terra cotta tile and it contains a passenger waiting room, a telegrapher's office, living quarters and a freight shed. Its distinct appearance comes from the two storey hexagon bay windows for the telegrapher. There are no other two storey masonry stations with this floor plan in Canada. For fifty years, the economic lifeblood of this community flowed through this station. Passengers, marl from Dry Lake near Marlbank used in cement, lumber, cattle, ice and high school students heading from Tamworth exemplify the utilization of the railway. The telegraph office was the only immediate contact with the outside world. The last train departed May 31, 1941 and the Erinsville Station was closed with the track being removed in December 1941. To help mark the 175th annicersary of Erinsville, the exterior of this station was refurbished by the Tanworth Erinsville Community Development Committee in 2012 through Canadian Heritage Funding.

Latlng: (44.476233, -77.043231)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet