For our official Facebook page click here. We are not affiliated with any other pages. We do not condone any trespassing. Always ask for permission.

Latlng: (44.83115, -75.31565)

Other Locations nearby
South Dundas

Iroquois Point Cemetery

Report

Discovered by Navi-Gatr
Created Jan 15 2020
Recent status Active
Category Cemetery
City South Dundas, Ontario
Location # 16348
Liked by 0 User(s)

Iroquois Point Cemetery was founded in 1797 on a high point of land near the St Lawrence River just west of the Town of Iroquois Ontario. Because of its height above the river, its location was not affected by the construction of the St Lawrence Seaway in the 1950’s. The town of Iroquois itself, however, was relocated approximately 1 mile north before the flooding. The current cemetery is a combination of the original United Methodist plot and a Presbyterian cemetery founded in 1874. The three maps shown in the Gallery below pinoint the cemetery in 1879, 1954, and 1978 and although its location is the same on all maps, the surrounding area has changed dramatically. Many prominent United Empire Loyalists and their descendents rest in this cemetery, including members of the Ault family, for whom Aultsville was named. The flooding of the Seaway claimed the town of Aultsville in 1959 but the resulting Island and Park retain the name. See link below for additional information:

Latlng: (44.83115, -75.31565)

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet