Latlng: (45.350000, -76.666666)

Other Locations near
Renfrew County

Springtown Ghost Town

Renfrew County, Ontario

Location Owner TWP
Creation Date Jan 01 2006
Status Unknown
Category Ghost Town
Location Renfrew County, Ontario
Site number #265

Springtown which originally went by the name of Bagot was a small town on the Madawaska River. It provided rest for travellers along the river. It began in 1848 when John Holliday opened the first post office. The village grew to include a blacksmith shop run by Frank Dowlan, the Madawaska Hotel operated by Joseph McCrae, a general store and post office operated by P. Kennedy and John McGregor(a)s sawmill. Springtown was linked to Calabogie in the west and Burnstown in the east by a trail which followed the shore of the river. Like many other towns, Springtown(a)s demise began with the arrival of the railway. When the Kingston and Pembroke Railway was built through Calabogie and travel along the road began to dwindle. Springtown was hit by Scarlet Fever somewhere around 1915, wiping out many of the residents. The Madawaska River was dammed for hydro electricity generation, which flooded the rapid and part of the original townsite. Location: From Renfrew go South on Highway 17 to 508. Take highway 508 west (Calabogie Road) from Burnstown for about 7.5 km to where the road crosses a bay.

Latlng: (45.350000, -76.666666)

Albums

Create new album

No albums yet

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet