Falkenburg GhostTown Galleries

Muskoka, Ontario

Location Owner clay70
Creation Date Aug 04 2009
Status Unknown
Category Ghost Town
Location Muskoka, Ontario
Site number #783

(Also known as Falconburg) Falkenburg was another settlement which popped up along the Colonization Roads of Ontario. In this case it was the Muskoka Road which the Ontario Government decided to construct in the hopes of luring settlers to the area. Beginning in 1859, teams of men were employed to build the road. They chose to use portable sawmills while planking the road as it was easier than moving the lumber as they progressed. The Muskoka Road was approximately 16 feet wide with one side built on an incline to allow water to drain off. Constructing a road out of lumber posed problems however. When bush fires occured, any burning trees that fell on the road resulted in igniting the road planks. Also, the stagecoach services running along the road would cut the wood with their sharp horseshoes. When the Muskoka Road was completed it would run 210 km to the city of North Bay. Falkenburg was one of the first settlements to lure residents from overseas looking to settle along the Muskoka Road. Being at the southern end of the road, Falkenburg was seen as a favorable place to live rather than travel northward. Matthias Moore was one such immigrant to arrive from overseas and settle in Falkenburg. Moore wasted no time in constructed a saw and shingle mill to provide lumber for the ongoing construction. The post office opened in 1863 with 26 year old William Holditch being the first postmaster. Moore took over in 1872 until his death in 1893 when Robert George would take over. Stagecoaches were constantly running passengers to Bracebridge. Two hotels were built to accomodate visitors along with church, blacksmith and general store. The railway soon appeared out of the forest but a few kilometres South of Falkenburg. There, a train station was built under the name of Falkenburg Station. With more passengers choosing to use the railway rather than stagecoach, Falkenburg's importance began to diminish. Today you will find remains of an old mill on the western side of the town. It can be found at the end of a dead-end road, where the Moore cemetery also happens to be. Falkenburg is rather easy to find. It is on Muskoka Road 4 (Manitoba St.) which parallels Highway 11. As you drive North from Bracebridge along Muskoka Road 4, you will pass Falkenburg Station. After you pass the second set of railway tracks, Falkenburg will be on the Eastern side (a right hand turn) on the Moore Rd. Falkenburg Railway Decapitation Story (stories from Gary Denniss' book about Macaulay Township): By 1885 train tracks had been laid through Falkenburg and Falkenburg Station to the south. Tragedies struck immediately on the mile track between the two villages. The engine from the construction train cut off a workmans legs the day after the track was completed at Falkenburg Station. An even worse tragedy struck the village in a story told by George Moore. One cold Feb. night the train came into town while George walked by the tracks. The brakeman(a)s job was to aid the train down as it came around the bend. While in the process of doing this the brakeman slipped and fell between the 2 cars, which instantly decapitated his head, sending it flying off and rolling along the ground right past George Moore. There was also a famed train derailment that occurred right at Falkenburg in 1929..View the photo below. The school house: The old log school for the area existed north of Falkenburg at Lot 4 Concession 11 in what is now a deeply wooded area. It was built in 1870. In 1887 it was replaced at the same location with a frame structure that gave classes until 1938. For info on the other Muskoka ghost town murders/tragedies check out: Monsell, Uffington, Barkway, Lewisham, Muskoka Falls and Germania.

Latlng: (45.090328, -79.354209)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet