Latlng: (42.851490, -81.431700)

Other Locations near
Middlesex County
See all locations

Burwell Pioneer Cemetery

Middlesex County, Ontario

Location Owner mobileworks
Creation Date Aug 30 2014
Status Closed
Category Cemetery
Location Middlesex County, Ontario
Site number #10998

Colonel Burwell was a veteran of the war of 1812. In return for his service, he received several land grants in the London, Ontario area and 1,600 acres in South Caradoc. That became the land for one of his seven sons, Isaac Brock Burwell. The estate was situated along the Thames River and was named Rougham Estate after the family's estate back in England. Burewell School (SS #1$) was located on the corner of Burwell and Wightman Roads. on land that was donated by the Burwells. It was built in 1861 and was used until 1946. The wood stove was used to heat the school as well as to prepare hot lunches for the children. Children from grades one to eight attended the single-room school. After closing it became a community centre until 1960 when it was sold. The Burwell Memorial Anglican Church was built in 1874 also on land donated by the Burwell family. The Burwell Cemetery was located next to the church. The church closed in 1930.

Latlng: (42.851490, -81.431700)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet