Latlng: (44.683056, -80.778889)

Other Locations near
Meaford

Balaclava Ghost Town (Grey)

Meaford, Ontario

Location Owner Golson Moldon
Creation Date Feb 19 2011
Status Repurposed
Category Ghost Town
Location Meaford, Ontario
Site number #2371

In 1850, George Scott opened a mill in the area which would soon be called Balaclava (The original spelling was Balaklava). A general store was opened by John D. Kergan in the 1860's. Elijah Moulgton operated the inn and tavern. Alexander McMullen operated the wagon shop, John Lusk was the carpenter and Duncan Cameron operated the blacksmith shop. Shortly thereafter Balaclava had three more blacksmiths open up shop: Elijah Cross, George Johnston and W. Moulton. Balaclava has a neighbouring town to the south, named Johnson. Johnson had their own school and post office which was run from Moulhton's inn. Balaclava eventually caught up to Johnson and had their own post office by 1890 which was operated by W.H. Hunt. A school (S.S. No. 8) opened in 1864 where Simon Grantham taught approximately two dozen students. A fire would eventually consume the wooden school building so classes moved to the Orange Hall until a new wooden school could be built. A stone building replaced the second wooden school in 1870 and was used until 1915. In 1915 a brick and mortar school replaced the stone building. Balaclava had no church whereas their neighbours in Johnson and Silicote did. As technology was becoming more commonplace, Balaclava received their very own telephone company in 1912. 34 customers initially joined the service, which routinely held public gatherings to help erect the poles. The community came together during these gatherings to aid in the construction and by the end of 1912 Balaclava's 3 party-line phone system was complete. This phone service lasted until 1960 when Bell Canada replaced the services with their own. Balaclava ceased to exist when, in 1942, the government purchased the land for the purposes of training soldiers in tank warfare and artillery gunning. The post office closed in 1961. The store built by the Whites in 1919 was purchased in 1997 and is being restored. The original general store is still used as a residence. Location: Balaclava is at the junction of County Grey Road 20 and Side Road 8. The village of Johnson is to the west, while Silcote is to the south. Take highway 26 and turn north onto 2nd Concession North. It is in the Municipality of Meaford. To see Balaclava (Renfrew) look under Renfrew County listing.

Latlng: (44.683056, -80.778889)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

avatar of mobileworks
mobileworks The original location of Balaclava, spelled Balaklava back in the day, was a few km`s north of here, which appears to be on the now Canadian Military Base,Meaford, until the White family built a new store and the commerce shifted soutward in 1919.
Sep 24 2012
avatar of clay70
clay70 Would you believe there are 3 ghost towns in Ontario named "Balaclava"? Becoming a ghost town isn't that common and yet that is what happened to 3 towns with the same name. What a coincidence. Besides this one in Grey, the others are in Bruce County (just east of Mildmay) and in Renfrew. The last one is the most famous of the 3.
Feb 19 2011