Latlng: (42.995835, -81.210210)
|Creation Date||Aug 06 2010|
Thomas McCormick emigrated from Ireland about 1849. In 1858, he began manufacturing confectionary in a factory located on Clarence Street in London. McCormick was in direct competition with another confectioner, Daniel Simmons Perrin who had established his own business just four years earlier. The McCormick company was incorporated as the McCormick Manufacturing Company Limited in July 1879. Thomas McCormick died in 1906. In 1914, Thomas P. McCormick, son of the company(a)s founder Thomas McCormick, moved the London business from downtown to the Dundas location. McCormick had spent many years researching the latest manufacturing technology and incorporating it into his new "Sunshine Palace". At the time of its opening, it was the most modern and fireproof biscuit factory in all of North America. The building contained 1.5 million bricks, eight hundred tons of steel, one hundred thousand bags of cement, forty-five thousand square feet of glass (making up 68% of the exterior walls) and 150,000 square feet of maple flooring. The production at the new factory was impressive. 135,000 pounds of candy and 100,000 pounds of biscuits were produced on a daily basis. At the time as many as 1000 workers were employed in the factory. In 1926, McCormick’s Manufacturing purchased its competitor, D.S. Perrin and Company Ltd., and became the Canada Biscuit Company. The Canada Biscuit Company was sold during the 1940(a)s to George Weston Ltd. In 1990 the company was acquired by Culinar Foods of Montreal, and in 1997 by Beta Brands Inc. When the London factory shut down in the summer of 2008 it was still being operated by Beta Brands. At that time approximately 100 employees lost their jobs. Today the four storey factory located at 1156 Dundas Street lies vacant, dark, with a lot to see and explore. Information from meaghandiane: The five-storey, 432,000 square foot McCormick�s factory was opened in 1914 and produced candy and cookie products until its closure in early 2007. Built of concrete and steel and constructed to be fireproof, at the time it was considered one of the finest factories in North America. Its most distinct architectural features are its white terra cotta glaze and the extensive window coverage, which gave it the nickname �the Sunshine Palace�. The first floor contains storage space, flour and sugar silos, administrative offices, and a bakery with long conveyor belt ovens which still remain there today. The second floor was the area designated for the production of crackers. There is also a laboratory containing now empty cabinets which used to hold chemicals and such. The third floor was intended for the production of chocolate and also housed the employee cafeteria. The fourth floor was used to make candy and has skylights and roof vents which helped cool the candy during production. In one area a number of metal rods hang from the ceiling which occasionally clang together creating sounds much like wind chimes. The fifth floor has two distinct areas, one of which was used to produce jelly beans and the other which contains executive offices and a boardroom. The office area looks out onto Dundas Street and provides a great view as well as access to the rooftop which appears to be sinking in in some places.
Latlng: (42.995835, -81.210210)