Latlng: (44.609412, -78.669140)

Other Locations near
Kawartha Lakes

Bury's Green (gunshot story)

Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Location Owner clay70
Creation Date Jun 20 2009
Status Unknown
Category Ghost Town
Location Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
Site number #722

Fell Station and Bury(a)s Green were parts of the old "Fell Settlement" established near the Fenelon boundary by John Fell and other Irish Protestants from Cavan township, Durham county. Bury(a)s Green was a farming community founded around 1840. Today the hamlet of Bury(a)s Green is smaller than it once was and no signs mark its location. It is located in the City of Kawartha Lakes (formerly Victoria County) in the former Somerville Township. Take the Bury(a)s Green Rd. east from north of Fenelon Falls to Ledge Hill Rd. Here you will find the old Bury(a)s Green Church. Early settlers to Bury(a)s Green iclude: Robert Ellis, a blacksmith born in England is 1842; John Howie, a farmer who settled in 1859 and who was bron in Scotland in 1848; Thomas Howie, a farmer/reeve who was born in Scotland in 1826; Thomas Mitchell, a farmer who settled in 1877 and who was born in Ireland in 1851; a Mr. Sheehy, a farmer who was born in Ireland in 1864 and Benjamin Smith, a counsillor in the area since 1845. Bury(a)s Green(a)s first postmaster was John Fell. Bury(a)s Green had an infamous incident take place involving the village(a)s later post master, Mr. Ellis. In 1876 Mr. Ellis was awakened by (a)would-be(a) robbers in his home. At 10 pm he awoke to see what the noise was downstairs. The robbers shot him in the foot and left. The bullet was removed the next day by a local doctor. A search warrant went out to find the perpetrators. To learn about other ghost towns with murder stories, check out: Monsell, Uffington, Shanick, Lewisham, Mowat, Dalton Mills, Redwater, Michipicoten and Reesor Siding.

Latlng: (44.609412, -78.669140)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet