Latlng: (46.588330, -81.307222)

Other Locations near
Greater Sudbury

Larchwood Station

Greater Sudbury, Ontario

Location Owner TWP
Creation Date Jan 01 2006
Status Unknown
Category Ghost Town
Location Greater Sudbury, Ontario
Site number #444

Larchwood Station began as a small settlement along the railway line north of Chelmsford, Ontario. The train station was located approximately one mile down the tracks west of highway 144. A Catholic Church and public school were located within walking distance of the station. Across the street from the church stood a general store. The church burned down during the 1960’s. Some of the early settlers to the area (approx. 1910 and earlier) were the Byrnes family, Self family, Savage family and the Book family. Some families lived in former chicken shacks which had been converted for living use. Before the 1970’s, highway 144 crossed the railway tracks at a level crossing. Today you will find that an overpass takes drivers over the tracks. East of the highway, along the tracks, the old track bed can be seen. The settlement was located along what is known today as Pilon Crescent. As Pilon Crescent goes by the base of the overpass, the foundations of the former church and the Savage house can be seen. From information provided by Murray Savage

Latlng: (46.588330, -81.307222)

Albums

Create new album

No albums yet

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet