Latlng: (44.182650, -79.869833)

Other Locations near
Essa Township
See all locations

West Essa Cemetery

Essa Township, Ontario

Location Owner oleboy
Creation Date Aug 29 2010
Status Closed
Category Cemetery
Location Essa Township, Ontario
Site number #1919

The Turnbull family came to this area in 1836 and settled at what was to later become known as Turnbull’s Corners, later it became West Essa. The Turnbull(a)s donated land for building the Methodist Church. In the beginning the church was part of what was known as the Cookstown Circuit. The West Essa Circuit was later formed in 1879 but by 1889, the church was closed. The building was then torn down in the early 1900’s and the cemetery became overgrown. In 1971, the Cemetery Committee of Essa Council cleaned up the lot, gathered all of the old stones together, and set them in a concrete base with a plaque commemorating the pioneer families, and enclosed the area with a steel fence. Directions: 7052 Fifth Sideroad, Essa Twp 60 m west of the Scotch Line, on the north side

Latlng: (44.182650, -79.869833)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet