9 years ago
Latlng: (43.911992, -78.77695)
|Date||Jun 30 2010|
This old bridge (Nash Rd. in Courtice) replaced another built here in the mid 1800's. It followed along the line of the old Concession 3 (now Nash Rd.) as it used to curve to the north and back in a U-shape for about 500 feet around the old sawmill. The sawmill was located on WB Scott's proper
The old sawmill existed right here on Nash Rd. (Concession 3). Check the Ontario Atlas Beldon Map dated 1877/1878 below.
Looking east along Nash Rd (Concession 3) from where the sawmill was located. The old school for those living in Prestonvale existed as the crow flies on the north side. Across the street was the Temperance Hall. Check the map dated 1877 below.
The wagon maker existed here in the 1800s and just west along Kingston Rd. (Hwy 2) was where the store, carpenter, post office and Methodist church lied. All were torn down when Hwy 2 was widened from 2 lanes to 5 in 1988. George Short's blacksmith shop stood where Roy Nichols Motors sits today.
This is where Courtice's cheese factory and shop was located. Check the map dated 1877 below.
Looking northward up Bragg Rd. from where the Providence Cemetery is located. A church existed here too on the left. The Bragg farm was located on the right.
Providence Cemetery up close.
The small cemetery in Providence at Concession 3 and Providence Rd is where an old church existed.
The schoolhouse built on Richard Shaw's property is now lived in on Hwy 2 (Kingston Rd. back then). Check the map dated 1877 below.
Richard Shaw's farmstead is now abanonded. The village name "Shaw's" comes from his family who settled the area. The last owner of this property was Ken Bragg.
Richard Shaw's homestead is now abanonded. The name "Shaw's" comes from his family who settled the area. The last owner of this property was Ken Bragg.
Inside the Shaw home..An arson destroyed the place in early 2010--What a pity!!
Located at the north end of Darlington Nuclear Station and north of "Darlington Station".
At the foot of Solina Rd. and Osbourne Rd. Just east of this point was where "Darlington Station" stood. I actually got the train as it was heading westward.