Latlng: (43.344941, -80.453940)

Other Locations near
Cambridge

Hallman Pioneer Cemetery Cairn

Cambridge, Ontario

Location Owner mobileworks
Creation Date Apr 25 2016
Status Closed
Category Cemetery
Location Cambridge, Ontario
Site number #13433

Roseville Road has been in use for about 150 years and as a Native trail before that. Men ages 21-60 had to work two days on roads, in the area, in the early 1800's, by the government instituted Labour Statute Policy or pay to get out of it. There was a lime kiln just north of Roseville and the population was 150 in 1864. Roseville had 2 taverns, 2 hotels, 4 churches, 3 schools a sawmill and a shingle factory. It also had a wagon and carriage works, a blacksmith shop, printing shop, 2 cooper shops, a turnip factory a post office a candy store a shoe store and a general store. The Cairn is triangular shaped and was built in 1967 as part of our Centennial events and was transferred from the Mennonite Church to North Dumfries Township at this time. Adam Unger[as it probably should be named, buried here 1889, aged 88] deeded this 1 acre plot to Jacob Detweiller for $15, June 1st, 1847. This cemetery was to be used for the Mennonite Society of British North America but actually became a neighbourhood cemetery. There are 50 headstones[some unreadable] encased in cement from 1810-1911. Forty-six burials from families like the Hallmans, Detweillers and the Schliegels took place all together.

Latlng: (43.344941, -80.453940)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

No comments yet