Latlng: (48.462500, -84.411111)

Other Locations near
Algoma District
See all locations

Franz (ghost town)

Algoma District, Ontario

Location Owner TWP
Creation Date Jan 01 2006
Status Unknown
Category Ghost Town
Location Algoma District, Ontario
Site number #171

Built in 1912 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, the station at Franz served for decades as an interchange yard and passenger connection. In better days, Franz boasted a booming economy in forestry, transportation and mining. The original name for this rural community was Hobon. In 1914, the post office name was changed to Franz, and the CPR station name was altered from the Hobon to Franz Station. Franz is located 65 km from Chapleau. For an excellent web page on Franz, click here. The railway at Franz is where the CPR and the Algoma Central Railways cross, literally. Here the two railways intersect at 90 degree angle. A switchbox nearby shows the status of the four rail lines The old station was moved to Dubreuilville, the water tower foundation remains as to some of the older homes as well as a newer home which seems to be occupied. Lots of railway junk litters the area. The church used to be behind the water tower. DIRECTIONS: From Hwy 17 West, turn right on Hwy 519, drive 35 km to Magpie Industrial Rd (3km before Dubreuilville). Drive to crossing turn left and follow signs to Franz. The road is driveable in a car (year round), but may be rough at times.

Latlng: (48.462500, -84.411111)

Albums

Create new album

Comments

Please log in to leave a comment

unknown user avatar
Unknown User went through this place on night train back in 1954.quite 'fantomatic'
Oct 23 2009