Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Guides and Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTutorial - Why can't I do this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tutorial - Why can't I do this?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 3:42pm
Q: Why am I receiving an "Access Violation FM" message when I am a Basic member and trying to access my own location?

A: You have changed the access level to something higher than Basic Access. You can only change the access AFTER you've added photos. When you don't have access to a location, the site checks to see if you have a gallery with photos for that location. If you have a gallery, you bypass the access restrictions.

For example, if you create a location named "John's Place" (as a Basic Access member) and you set it to Full Member access but you do this before adding your gallery photos, you essentially lock yourself out of your own location.

or

If someone else has created a location named "John's Place" and makes it Full Member and you try to access it as a Basic Member, you are also locked out.

In both examples however, if you have a gallery for that location, you may access it. So in the first example, provided you've added photos and then change the access, you may access the location.

In the second example, it would only be possible if we merged your photos into someone else's location.

Q: I know that you have a location on the site, but I can't access it as a Basic Member. How do I add photos?

A: As problematic as this is, the current method goes like this:
- create a new location
- upload your photos
- in the description, ask that the location be merged into the existing location
- wait for an administrator to merge the photos
- you will receive a PM message when this is completed

We don't mind merging your images. The alternative to having an administrator approve your images is to allow Basic members to upload photos into any Full Member location thus granting them immediate access. In this case, we'd have people uploading photos of cats and dogs to bypass the access restrictions.

Q: Why can't I post on the forum? I receive an error message.

A: The forum has always been problematic. It might refuse to allow you to post, or it might log you out. The solution is to close your browser and log back into the website, then enter the forum.

The forum software was not written by me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic