Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Public Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question from a noob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question from a noob
    Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 1:32pm
Hi everyone!

As the title says, I'm a bit new to exploring. I have documented a few really nice places, but I haven't worked up the courage to go inside them quite yet.

So my question is, if I have found a location that I think fits the bill, but I can only get exterior shots, can I still create a location? Or should I wait until I can get inside? 

I'm sorry if this is explained elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!
Storytrail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Storytrail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 8:52am
This is a question debated by many on the website.

It's really up to your discretion. If you only have a couple of exterior shots, it's probably not worth creating a location for... but if you've taken your time and captured some really interesting pictures documenting the property and details of the place, it's worthwhile in my opinion. There are some places that will always be boarded up - some people will wait for interiors (and sometimes opportunities do open up) but others will post a location anyway.
BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 12:57pm
Thanks Storytrail! I'll see what I can do about getting inside and maybe hold off on creating the location until I get some good quality photos or at least a bit more history.

On that note, if I can throw in another question, what kind of camera do people generally use? I'll look around a bit and see if there's a thread like this on the forum already, but it's here too if people want to give their 2 cents.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Storytrail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 1:38pm
It varies. I think a lot of members here use SLR cameras. I have a Nikon DSLR, but since I am still relatively new/inexperienced in using it, I actually use my iPhone 5 to document properties. It's not the greatest method, but it's portable and I can get in and out of a property pretty quickly by using it. I hope to transition to using my actual camera eventually. :) 
BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
I'll have to look into those. I have a camera phone as well (Samsung) but it takes decent pictures. Nothing near the quality of some photos I've seen here, but definitely clear. I'll have to see about getting a better camera, not just for exploring but for almost everything hahaha.

Thanks for your help Storytrail!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Storytrail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 5:33pm
No problem :)
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 7:35pm
Personally for exploring I'd recommend a quality compact or an EVIL. My G11 takes quality raw shots and is very portable. It clips on my belt but offers all the manual control of a DSLR (albeit with a smaller sensor). 
mattgrant1 View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattgrant1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:14pm
@Blackrose, 

You should definitely go inside. It's not really fun unless you're exploring the place. You should be doing it because it's thrilling - especially if there's a ghost story or haunting behind it.

Go with a couple friends and freak them out at night

Go big or go home right? 
BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 10:59am
@Driverv
Thanks for the input. I guess my biggest problem with cameras is how much they cost. Would you say yours is on the cheaper end? 

@mattgrant1
I'd love to go inside. The one place I've been scoping for a while now is sealed up. There would be no legal way for me to get in and therefore, I won't try. But, I might have finally found the owner of the place and might be able to contact him about getting in. 

I can't say much about a ghost story, but I'm hoping to found out some more history about it at the very least. And yes, if I can, I will definitely be bringing a few friends. It may not be haunted but touring an abandoned theater with just a flashlight would make for a pretty awesome night. Big smile
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:13am
My G11 retailed for about 500 bucks when it came out. It'll still cost about 400 on ebay new. I got it second hand on Kijiji from a graphic designer for 160 bucks. Worth every penny. The G series by Canon are advanced enthusiast compacts, not the most expensive but not cheap either.

The successor to the G11 is the G16 now...it has a 1.8 fast lens, so very decent in low light. Complete manual control of course. 

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/canon-canon-powershot-g16-12-1mp-5x-optical-zoom-digital-camera-black-8406b005/10268765.aspx?path=e78a309e12509aff47dab6a23ced33d4en02

Another option that's very very compact and definitely affordable is the S200. The S series cameras have nice lens and good image quality. 2.0 fast lens. Dedicated control ring around the lens with full manual control. Cheaper.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/canon-canon-powershot-10-1mp-5x-optical-zoom-digital-camera-s200-black-8408b005/10268768.aspx?path=adff60cf5034d0cddc5dca87648593b4en02

Of course there are other options as well. 
lowkeyimagedesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lowkeyimagedesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:15am
if its sealed depends on the place it could stay sealed for a very long time. Its good to take exteriors to document the place, then go back later on and see if anything has changed, gives you an idea if any to a time frame when or if the place is watched.

I would not suggest removing anything preventing you from going inside.  Once inside its most likely going to be dark or very little light so a flashlight is a must, I use a maglite personally. As for camera I would suggest a DSLR and a tripod it allows for long exposures to capture detail in such dark places
quiksilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote quiksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 12:45pm
if you post exteriors, make them good ones, not a couple budget, blurry, slanted, crappy ones.  Then do what you can to get interiors later.  Camera wise DSLR all the way.  Some of the small point and shoot compact cameras do a good job but nothing beats a good DSLR.  I have a Nikon D5000 and I love the thing, The only advantage my compact camera has over it is that it's waterproof.  Lots of people think DSLR's are cumbersome and clunky, but get a small camera bag for it and they're really easy to tote around.  You'll get used to it.  As far as brand I personally believe it boils down to your own preference.  I hear the Nikon line has a difficult user interface, it doesn't bother me at all, but I've heard some say they prefer the Cannon line because it's much simpler.  Play around in the stores and see what suits you best.
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 12:50pm
Uh oh. DLSR snobs are coming out :O 
quiksilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote quiksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 12:59pm
Should we start a "DSLR users only" section in the forums?  We can talk apertures, white balances, shutter speeds, and megapixles.  Maybe, for those of us vintage enough, we can reminisce about when our cameras where just SLR and you had wait a week to see the picture you just took?  I remember my old Minolta......
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 2:31pm
Except that as a G11 user, I can also talk TV AV and M and Custom WB and etc. I fear you are confusing compact with 'point and shoot.' 
Also, my first camera was a vivitar 35mm. Those were the days haha. 
f.o.s. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote f.o.s. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:30pm
My first exploring camera was an all weather shock resistant one, and it did me well because as a noob you have much bigger things to worry about than your pic quality!  Then, there is always the issue of your memory card.  That's right, the card makes a difference too.  The next time you go to buy a camera or card, ask the sales person to explain card write speeds,  and what they can do for your particular camera, because all cameras are not made equal! Putting a $150 card in a crap camera will get you nowhere fast.
Two kool four shcool
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 12:42am
Well, some people do the abandoned thing solely for photos. You can tell by their albums that they put a greater emphasis on clarity of shots. Others do it for history, and again you can tell.
You're right about the card speed, but I'd say that they are more of a matter for buffering when you're taking fps bursts. Which you probably won't do in an abandoned area. I personally use a lexar Class 8.
In my humble opinion, all you really need for the architecture style shots of abandonments is manual control and a reasonably fast lens for low light performance. 
ground state View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ground state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:42am
A $150 Canon Powershot is more than enough for this hobby, and takes GREAT close-ups. And the low light capabilities are really really good. And you can stick it in your pocket while crawling around through half-collapsed ruins. The only reason I got rid of mine was because I like photographing wildlife and needed a greater distance zoom.  

BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 2:15pm
Thanks everyone! I'll probably end up going with the camera ground state suggested, since I'm dealing with a bit of a budget. 

I find myself torn between the photography aspect and the history aspect of exploring. On the one hand, entering a place once used by people, seeing the things they left behind, or even just knowing that it was an epicenter of activity at some point is so exciting. On the other hand, documenting the decay and abandonment seems like just as much, if not more of, a thrilling time.

I'll see what photos I can take now, and hopefully get around to buying a better camera soon.

Thanks again! 
ground state View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ground state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 4:57pm

Black Rose:

These were all taken the weekend before I went out and bought a better camera. Every one of these is on a Canon Powershot SD. Somehow Future Shop always manages to release a new version of such camera so that they can keep the price up around $200. Try to find one cheaper. And make sure it runs on a rechargeable lithium battery and not AAs. First thing you should do is go on Ebay and order 2-3 replacement no-name batteries from Hong Kong. You will be amazed. They're only $5-7 and they'll be here in 6 weeks right when you're thinking, "Damn, I need another battery".

PS - I'm not trying to say these photos are "Ooo wow" "Look at me". Some of these SUCK! Just trying to point out that the camera, or rather, the source image, really isn't that big of a deal. It is all about how much fun you want to have planning shots and with post-processing.

by Ground State Photos, on Flickr