Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Public Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question from a noob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:20pm
Ground State, I think we can all agree that you're an excellent photographer. And your pictures prove my point I think, that even a cheap camera can produce excellent images in the right hands.
That's all I was trying to say. That you don't need a DSLR to produce quality shots (although I'm sure they're nice to have.)
Egregious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Egregious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by quiksilver quiksilver wrote:

I remember my old Minolta......

I miss my Minolta x-700.  You sure spent more time trying to get the right shot and thinking it through.  Now I go out for a day and shoot hundreds of shots. I sometimes feel a little nostalgic but the reality is I love my DSLR (Canon 5D M3). I always have my stuff in a backpack and carry a tripod.  I started with a tripod but got out of the habit for a number of years.  I bought carbon fiber and started carrying it again everywhere.  It is not always convenient but when you use it you can get better images in lower light.
Egregious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Egregious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by BlackRose BlackRose wrote:

I find myself torn between the photography aspect and the history aspect of exploring. On the one hand, entering a place once used by people, seeing the things they left behind, or even just knowing that it was an epicenter of activity at some point is so exciting. On the other hand, documenting the decay and abandonment seems like just as much, if not more of, a thrilling time.

I am sure that many of us agree with you sentiment.  I want great images. I feel they should convey a feeling.  They should make you stop and contemplate what little we leave behind and that one day someone may stand looking at our footprint.

I personally like to take a moment when in a location to reflect on the lives that have passed through a location. I always think of the hard work that someone put into it.  I like to imagine the original builder standing back a proudly viewing his handiwork.  I like to think about the families , the sorrows and the joys.  It makes for a great moment of introspection.
BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:26pm
ground state those photos are just incredible! I hope to be able to come close to that quality when I get to taking pictures. 

drybsmt I'm glad I'm not the only one. Years ago I was able to explore an old house my uncle purchased in the states. It was abandoned for years and I was lucky enough to be allowed to explore it before any clean up was done. I think I spent hours wandering each room, looking through old toy boxes, bookshelves and boxes. It was quite the experience.

It may sound weird, but I never felt so much excitement and peace all at the same time.
quiksilver View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote quiksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 11:53pm
I've got a Pentax W80.  It's taken some unreal photos, but even the best ones, after I expand them on my computer and print them I notice all the small blemishes that my Nikon doesn't have.  GS is right you can take some amazing photos with a point and shoot camera, I bought the Nikon because I do a lot of hiking and landscape photography, night shooting, stuff like that, I've used my sisters compact DSLR and when photos are printed and expanded I just can't get past the smaller details.  Call me a snob, I've got thick skin, I might cry a little at night, but, I'll get over it.
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 12:15am
You're not a snob, you're just a pixel peeper :P
BlackRose View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 11:57am
I've seen a few of your photos around the site as well, quiksilver. I won't call you a snob, but rather a perfectionist who knows how to handle a camera! Your pictures are beautiful, and I love how well you capture the small details. You and Ground State have some of the greatest shots I've seen! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic