Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Urban Exploration.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tempast View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tempast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Urban Exploration.
    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:31pm
I'm New to Urban Exploring, and I have a couple of questions for anyone who's Been doing it a bit longer than me. Like if there's anyway to Prepare for seeing other people at the location I'm at. Or if there's any tools that I should Bring? I'm mostly Wondering if there's a reliable way to get into the hobby. Or if I should just Start walking down the street and hope for the best. 
solid_snake View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote solid_snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:46am
Be prepared to be approached by a property owner and asked why you're there/asked to leave/told the police have been called and you're trespassing. As long as none of those bother you, or you've got a response for each/are prepared for each, seeing other people won't bother you. Most times, if you can make it clear you're just curious and want to document things as opposed to destroy them, you won't have any trouble. Be prepared to ask questions; no matter who you might run into, they might know something you don't and you might know something they don't about where you are.

As for what to bring, that can be kinda situational if you've had a chance to scout a location. My general adventure bag consists of a camera, a flashlight, a first aid kit, a knife/multi tool, some snacks and water, a lighter, some rope, and a bucket all inside of a backpack. Sometimes these are removed or substituted depending on where I'm going and what I know about the environment.

Pay attention to what you can see out the window when you're driving or going anywhere. That old house off in the field, or that barn that seems to be falling apart. That property where the building has no windows, or where the grass hasn't been cut. If you find somewhere you think might be abandoned, google street view it if you can, and see how far back the street views go and how the appearance has changed. Google just the address and see if you can find anything about it like if it was for sale or if it's had anything happen there recently. Once you go in for a look, check for dates on everything. A magazine or newspaper laying on the ground, a best before date on an old bottle or container you find. Are there any signs or advertisements or posters up? What are they for? Do the companies still exist?

Lastly, whatever pictures you take, share them and label them. You never know who might be looking for info on somewhere you've found.
Dave Summer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Summer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm
Don't bring anything that could be considered B&E tools.
TheOracle View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:27am
Hey everybody . Im not new to urbex , just new to the site . I live in kitchener Ontario and I am hoping that that people are still interested in searching for new and cool places to explore . I believe in the , take nothing but pics , leave nothing but footprints , kill nothing but time policy . I have lots of pics , including my absolute favourite place the Meriton Tunnel . If anyone is planning any adventures and would like some company , I would be happy to come with ! I look forward to hearing from you and possibly finding somewhere new and exciting to explore . Be safe all !
princessninja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote princessninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:33am
Welcome to the site! 
TheOracle View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 2:35pm
Thx princess .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic