Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Website Questions or Concerns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Category

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote superss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 3:17pm
I found a location just last week, no interiors, but the home is from 1876 & the property was settled by the family of one of the original settlers of Markham.   This home will most likely be demolished in the near future. I only make it out that way a few times a year, hopefully with it on the database, some others can keep an eye on the property just in case any interiors become available. If not & it's demolished, at least there are a few pictures of that home on here.

Interiors would have been best, but are not always possible.
RogerM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RogerM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 4:26pm
Apologies for jumping on this thread a year later, but I thought maybe the pov of a Basic Member should be added.

I am on this site because the header proclaims:

"Documenting the forgotten memories of Ontario before they're gone forever."

To me this is an important part of what this site is about, and the documentation of exteriors, particularily if some building history can be included, is just as relevent as interior exploration. In my short time contributing I have found three new locations, one of which was sealed tight. (I am currently trying to find someone to give me permission to get inside, but I will not break in.)

As a Basic member, there is the joy of discovering a new location, with or without interior access, particularily if the location has historical significance. (That excitement is always tempered by the realization that the discovery may just be duplicating an existing FM location, but we persevere until granted FM access.)

Part of the appeal of this site is that it is dynamic, with new locations appearing daily. I know I enjoy seeing what others have discovered, and I hope I never lose that sense of wonder if OAP ever sees fit to grant me FM access.

Personally I hope this site never implements a 'No interior, no location' policy. In this I agree with superss
sleep_is_awesome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sleep_is_awesome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:00pm
I was going to post exactly what RogerM just wrote, though less eloquently.

I found 3 sites all within spitting distance of a small town, which I live near. For each location I asked permission which results in less chances for entry by me, as they are aware of my presence. However, now that members know of the location, they can take a walk at 545 am and enter.

I say that if i own location #1234 all exterior gallery, I think my ownership should be tranferred to the first person to submit a gallery of interiors. Or, to avoid B&E encouragement, a shared ownership.

But, the fact that somene found and posted a place ...(not streetviews, thats for the forums.) Should alot them some credit.

Oh, and bigpaulsmall, YOU are and inspiration. I think you should post your exterior only locations as they are always enrapturing.
ground state View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ground state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by sleep_is_awesome sleep_is_awesome wrote:

I say that if i own location #1234 all exterior gallery, I think my ownership should be tranferred to the first person to submit a gallery of interiors.

Intriguing idea. I've thought of this too on more than one occasion - actually just this week when the first pics ever were posted inside the restaurant of Stop 50. 

superss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote superss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:16am
Yea but you may have someone that has monitored, watched, researched & scouted out a place for months & even years, but they have never had the luck of a POE. Finally you decide to take pictures & post the location. A week later Bob comes along with a hammer, breaks in & takes a few pictures & bang it's his location. Not right as far as I'm concerned.

I also know an explorer who found one of my favourite locations but he doesn't enter the homes. Nothing wrong with that, his job may preclude him from it or he may feel the risk may not be worth it, or he may just not feel comfortable entering a home.

I think most of us would agree, the sidewalk shots & the drive-by 5 locations in 5 minutes is not what we are looking for. No need to try to reinvent the wheel.
trailblazer2112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trailblazer2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:39am
I agree with superss. Well said..
ground state View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ground state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:03am
Originally posted by superss superss wrote:

Yea but you may have someone that has monitored, watched, researched & scouted out a place for months & even years, but they have never had the luck of a POE.

Still in the same breath as responding a message ago, yes, this is a description of me. So I have to agree! 

I guess the real frustration is when you indeed monitor, watch, research and scout a place for ages, only to have someone like a new member looking for a blitz of locations scoop it up with a side-walk shot. But there really isn't any other way around it, so best practice is status quo.

maureen e. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maureen e. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:52am
There are times when short of actually B&E you can not get interior shots but the building is significant or impressive or it just appeals to you and you want to share its beauty.  Next time you drive by it is gone and without those pictures it is lost forever.  

I agree that drive by pictures  or pictures from the car/road or mapquest streetview are not enough, but if the person has actually attempted to get close enough to produce decent pictures of the exterior it should be considered.  

I trust the administrators to be able to veto the locations that are not enough.  A lot of times the contributor explains why there are only exteriors those  explanations of the restrictions may may determine what the admins do with the location.
quiksilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote quiksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:07am
If it isn't broken, don't fix it.  I don't mind when people only post exterior shots because they can't get inside.  I've seen a lot of nice spots with a lot of nice photos and to the credit of the person who posted them, they're not willing to kick in a door or window and destroy something to get in, to me, that shows a lot of respect.  I'm not, and never will be, a fan of the drive by, off axis, blurry, no more than three bad pictures people post as a new location.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those locations get deleted.  Usually the comments section is full of suggestions to delete it.  Either way though things have been going well and you can never make everyone happy, so, lets stay the course.
timo explorer View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote timo explorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:53pm
I know of at least half a dozen abandonments that have no interior access, they are either boarded up tight or locked.  Should I post them or should I wait until a POE opens up, although they may be torn down before that happens?

I have had several locations demolished while I was waiting, therefore no photos and no record they ever existed, just because some folks believe interior pics or it didn't happen. 
We all have our own thoughts on this and we are all correct, to our own way of thinking.  I know I get very disappointed when a great looking place is torn down and I never got shots because I was waiting for a gaping hole in the wall and an open invitation.  I say post them, but at least get close enough to take decent photos and check the door knobs.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:02pm
I will create an additional category "Exteriors Only" which will allow people to search or exclude these properties.

I find exterior only locations to be a waste when someone doesn't even try to get out of the car and approach them. At least make the effort to go to the door otherwise you're just flooding the site with junk.

If there is no POE, then post it with that explanation and perhaps someone else will have success.

spydrgyrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote spydrgyrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 6:13pm
I'm having deja vu all over again.  *sigh*

OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:55pm
People are always able to post to the forum in the Unchartered Territory sub-forum but they go with the location creation method instead.

f.o.s. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote f.o.s. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 4:58pm
Personally, I think a "Stay Away" category would be more useful. I've seen many deleted locations here I wish I could reference back to so I can avoid an angry PO or a place that looks abandoned but is inhabited by a weirdo with a shotgun (yes, this has really happened and the loc was deleted).

I really do not want to see this Exterior Only category. I'd rather see private member sharing because you never know what is inside a place, and sharing a potential time capsule in this manner is irresponsible IMO. If you can see inside and it's clearly empty, maybe make an FM listing.  However, a place with an upper floor, curtains in windows, lawn taken care of etc.  I think should be left off the site until conclusively investigated.  At the very least, a detailed description should also accompany the post for future visitors.

If any yahoo can see the "Uncharted Territory" forum, I'd wouldn't share any place there I wasn't sure about.   It's not about being selfish, it's about being responsible.
Two kool four shcool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic