Ontario Abandoned Places

(But we're really an archive of ALL Canada's forgotten places)

Home

Forum

Search

User Search

Question - Ontario Abandoned Places
Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
UnLeashed_Photography View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote UnLeashed_Photography Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 1:54pm
This may have been asked before but I was wondering what the 5 stars under our names here mean? Also wondering what the stars under peoples profile in locations mean as well? I think I seen silver and gold ones before. Thanx. :)
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 2:02pm
The answer to the first question is it is a rating system. The more posts one makes the more stars you gain and you move up the 'ladder'.

For example you could start at "Baby explorer", move up to "Junior Explorer" and then "Super Explorer". The names are definable as are the number of posts needed to advance. I disabled it because I felt people would post crap just to boost their rating. So the stars reflect user levels (basic, full and admin).

The answer to the second question is found in the FAQ.

UnLeashed_Photography View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote UnLeashed_Photography Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 3:11pm
Thanx OAP!
ground state View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ground state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:01pm

RE: "I felt people would post crap just to boost their rating"

Ha ha ha, universities have a name for those kind of posters when they have mandatory participation required in online discussion forums for courses: they're called "atta-boy!" posts.

(and I think I just did one typing this!)

Golson Moldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Golson Moldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by ground state ground state wrote:

RE: "I felt people would post crap just to boost their rating"

Ha ha ha, universities have a name for those kind of posters when they have mandatory participation required in online discussion forums for courses: they're called "atta-boy!" posts.

(and I think I just did one typing this!)

Thanks G.S. Very informative!
drunkenmunky420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote drunkenmunky420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 12:46pm
Yes I concur

hehehe 
mobileworks View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 1:10pm
Hey big guy ,OAP, how aboot a named VACANT category ,[not a blank category], lol, but like closed etc. where you don't know it's active or abandoned for sure, but its ....well definitely vacant, though.
f.o.s. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote f.o.s. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mobileworks mobileworks wrote:

Hey big guy ,OAP, how aboot a named VACANT category ,[not a blank category], lol, but like closed etc. where you don't know it's active or abandoned for sure, but its ....well definitely vacant, though.

I usually make ones like that active and make a detailed note in the description.  Are you talking about places that are abandoned on an actively cultivated farm? Or do you mean places you aren't 100% sure about?
Two kool four shcool
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 9:26pm
no I mean ones that are unlocked , open, and unsure if its abandoned or active but ....vacant ....the explore day of stuff and nice. no one can tell unless they monitor them . I think it should be a category for this reason.
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 11:05am
So a Vacant category and Second thing is just my two cents aboot the new scheme , I don't like it, just my input. It looks like it hasn't finish loading and not easy on the eyes. I know you were working on the maps so maybe its from that. Good overall job big guy. cheers.
quiksilver View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote quiksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by f.o.s. f.o.s. wrote:

Originally posted by mobileworks mobileworks wrote:

I usually make ones like that active and make a detailed note in the description.  Are you talking about places that are abandoned on an actively cultivated farm? Or do you mean places you aren't 100% sure about?

I think f.o.s. has the best method here.
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 10:14am
sure, agreed, but that's still a guess and having it marked Vacant just leaves the decision of active or not to anyone visiting and still to be alert. Vacant would just mean it could be active , is all. One only knows the status at the time they are present.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic