Archiving Canada's Abandoned Structures Before They Disappear

Finding Stuff - Ontario Abandoned Places
Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finding Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kat666g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kat666g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding Stuff
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:24am
Hey guys, just out of curiosity, what would you do if you came across and abandoned house that had a stack of cash inside or jewelry? Would you leave it for some scrapper to find, or take it yourself?
Doozer View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:47am
I work in a second hand shop, processing donations.  It's surprising how often we find money in things.  It has become ingrained in my conscience to try to find the owner and return it.  If I found money or valuables, I would take the effort to try to find the original owners of the house.  Realistically, I would probably take it with me for safe keeping, because the next person wouldn't be as honest.

I would probably try to find the owners on my own, rather than turning it in to the police.  In my personal experience, the police don't make much effort to reunite people with their lost items, and they would just end up in their own coffers.

If I had made every reasonable effort to find the rightful owners without success, I would probably donate the money to a good cause.  Perhaps buying food and giving it to the food bank.
Talker View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Talker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 3:28pm
Stealing it so someone else doesn't steal it isn't noble--it's theft. There are legal implications if you're caught, obviously. Notifying the owner has been done before in one notable example where thousands of dollars were found.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:50pm
I found a necklace later valued by an appraiser friend at about $300 in Clarington Jackpot.

Hid it away.
Iwaslookingformycat View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iwaslookingformycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 5:46pm
I would take it and keep it. I'm not a boy scout like some of you. Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic