Ontario Abandoned Places

(But we're really an archive of ALL Canada's forgotten places)

Home

Forum

Search

User Search

For Any Explorers in the Peterborough Area - Ontario Abandoned Places
Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For Any Explorers in the Peterborough Area

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JussticeJ View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JussticeJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Any Explorers in the Peterborough Area
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:00pm
Greetings Friends - 

Quick question about a location I've driven by a few times in Peterborough. 

I've driven past this place only a few times, but it has peaked my curiosity. I can't seem to find it posted on OAP, which makes me even more curious. 

It appears to be a very large farming property. The driveway is marked with two large concrete blocks  that say "Byes Manor Farm". There appears to two houses on that property that are very obviously abandoned, as well as a few barns that stretch down the road to another property (I'm assuming theyre owned by the same person). On the property just down the road there are a few more barns, and another house. On google maps streetview, there is a sign at the end of the second properties driveway that says "Fairway Farm", however I'm not sure that it is still there. I can't recall seeing it during my drive-bys. 

I'm interested to know if anyone has any info on this place or if they've been. Its a really large property with huge potential and gorgeous buildings and it confuses me why places like this end up derelict and decaying. If anyone has been, what is the security like? I know the front gates are closed, but I didn't see much else other than that. From the state of the buildings, it appears some vandals may have already reached it. 

Thanks everyone! I hope someone knows something about this place. 

ps - if any FM's are interested in this place or want to check it out themselves / are unsure of which location I'm talking about, send me a PM and I'll be happy to chat! 

Smile
solid_snake View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote solid_snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:41pm
I've been to both Bye's and the property next door and made locations for each. I'm by no means a talented photographer but I share the same intrigue and also drove past it one too many times before curiosity got the better of me and my wife. I do know two people connected and possibly owners were named Dent Johnson and Donny Bye. The farm was a big name local farm back in its day and they were involved with horse racing and possibly breeding. Security is pretty much non existent and you're unfortunately quite correct; vandals have seen it. It's been abandoned for at least ten years. There's a placard in one if the barns for a farm called Lanesfield Simmentals and I can't find any information about them at all so it looks like they were in existence before having your own website was common. I'd absolutely love to see what it would have looked like back in its prime. The locations I created are called Bye's Manor Farm and Abandoned Horse Farm. I'm by no means an expert but feel free to ask anything and I'll answer as best I can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic