Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Mold/ Stachybotrys And You

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bumblebee View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumblebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Mold/ Stachybotrys And You
    Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 1:03am
Here with another doom and gloom warning, this time about the dangers of Black Mold/ Stachybotrys. Many explorers both new and old have at one point or another come into contact with black mold (BM) , scientifically known as Stachybotrys. What most explorers don't know is the serious dangers that BM present both in short term exposure and the long term effects after multiple exposures. I know most people are panicking at this point but I can assure you that you can relax. Much like asbestos the best way to combat BM exposure is by utilizing proper ventilators. Many of us (including veteran members) have taken a lax approach to ventilators but the reality is that you don't even have to see this mold to come in contact with it and it's harmful effects.

To comprehend the effects of BM you must understand that it thrives in moist areas (flooded basements, leaking roofs, open windows, and general condensation behind walls and under carpets). All of the listed above are hallmarks of your average abandonment, in short you should always suspect that you will be coming into contact with black mold in any abandonment. Short term side effects range from fatigue and nausea, while long term effects include respiratory problems and death. Although most people are aware of Asbestos, many explorers are completely unaware of the complications and dangers of BM. After watching a program on a family who almost lost their lives due to BM I can assure you that every abandonment forward I will be wearing a respirator/mask regardless. I can only hope you too will do the same, being a health professional I can only tell you from first person accounts how horrible respiratory issues are alone. Please do yourself a favor, spend the 40$ on a decent 100 respirator and protect yourself.

Here are some examples from past explores where it WAS visible.

Storytrail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Storytrail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 1:19pm
I think this is a really important topic. I'm not sure that most explorers realize the danger this presents, because as we explored on Sunday, we were under the impression that it would not be dangerous if it wasn't disturbed... not the case. 

The symptoms caused by black mold is neverending: http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-toxic-stachybotrys-mycotoxins.html
driverv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote driverv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:23pm
Yeah super important that you get the right type of mask. To be clear, a military gas mask will not do the trick for certain applications. You need to use a P100 mask, make sure that it specifically says P100 compliant. A P100 mask will also protect against asbestos. The filters on P100 are almost always purple and they're not the cheapest, but they're worth it. I own two. 
captamerica View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote captamerica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:26pm
haha so on top of cops, neighbors, wasps/bees/ticks, falling through floors, Giant Hogweed... now I have to get a respirator too to fend off the asbestos & black mold. Why do we do this hobby again??? oh that's right... because Adventure! thanks for the info. 
Litphotography View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Litphotography Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:02pm
great post thank you!! & lol  captamerica ^^^  LOL
Talker View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Talker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by driverv driverv wrote:

Yeah super important that you get the right type of mask. To be clear, a military gas mask will not do the trick for certain applications. You need to use a P100 mask, make sure that it specifically says P100 compliant. A P100 mask will also protect against asbestos. The filters on P100 are almost always purple and they're not the cheapest, but they're worth it. I own two. 

I use a C-4, driverv (presumably the one with which you're familiar), which I understood *did* protect against black mold and asbestos. I will have to look into this further.
Bumblebee View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumblebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:14pm
No cause for alarm they said..... hide in cool damp places like your garage they said.....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/black-widow-spiders-in-ont-not-cause-for-alarm-1.419317

seriously though the wolf spiders in the Niagara region are scarier.... I mistook one as a fake spider (it was that big).... pretty sure it was real now....

Storytrail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Storytrail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Bumblebee Bumblebee wrote:

No cause for alarm they said..... hide in cool damp places like your garage they said.....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/black-widow-spiders-in-ont-not-cause-for-alarm-1.419317

seriously though the wolf spiders in the Niagara region are scarier.... I mistook one as a fake spider (it was that big).... pretty sure it was real now....

I can't even bring myself to look at this article. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic