Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Public Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'F' is for 'Fail'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BandoPros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'F' is for 'Fail'
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:42am
Just a reminder to be careful out there guys:

(There are two of us that own this account but I'll write in the first person of course).

1. On Thursday afternoon we were on Ninth Line somewhere East of Furgus exploring when somebody driving a Cadillac Escalade was either not paying attention to the road, or has very poor depth perception and, while already driving too far into the middle of the road, suddenly swerved head-on into us. My friend was driving and luckily reacted very, very quickly to avert disaster. He steered us out of the way but we ran out of road so we ended up drifting almost completely flat on the car's side into what was a pillowy snow-filled ditch. It was my car he was driving and am just thankful it only cost a $100 to get towed out with zero damage to the vehicle - amazing!

2. After having completed a fairly successful, albeit drawn-out, hunt for abandonments last night (which also involved me stepping on a nail the one day I didn't wear my boots - luckily it didn't draw blood), we were on our way home when we found what to turned out to be a very uninteresting abandoned bungalow with unlocked doors and the furnace running (but not producing any heat). We were just leaving and the driveway was dark. I did a little jog off of the stoop and into the driveway. I immediately stepped on an icy patch where there was a divet I didn't see. The same foot I stepped on a nail with twisted inwards to the left while the rest of my leg twisted to the right producing a loud 'pop'. The slip of course made me fall onto my right side. I immediately clutched my ankle and in an unusually calm voice (I am admittedly a bit of a prankster so my one friend told me after he had a brief moment of doubt) said "I might have broken my ankle". My friends told me they were asking me questions and looking at my exposed ankle as I continued to hold it but that I had a concentrated look on my face and was unresponsive. I just remember laying my ankle down in the snow and how good it felt and then a brief moment where I had this strange sensation of 'ahhh.. this.. feels.. cozy' at which point I'm told my eyes rolled into the back of my head. My one friend held my head and after being out for 30-60 seconds grew worried as I remained unconscious. He said he gave me a few smacks in the chest which I do not remember at all but am told did wake up. I felt disgusting for a good ten minutes and didn't become fully lucid until I got over the extreme light-headedness I felt after standing up with my two friends' help.

I'm now about to finally head over to the hospital to check (fingers crossed) for a fracture or torn ligament. Although I'm having to use crutches (always good to keep those it turns out, haha) I think it's probably just a really bad sprain!

ALL THAT just to say: BE CAREFUL out there guys! Haha.. Take it from me! :P
Dave Summer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Summer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:38am
It's never easy for us to hear that someone got hurt. Hopefully it's not serious. It is a good reminder for us all to be careful out there.
Motleykiwi View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Motleykiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
Thanks for sharing your experience Bando, this hobby can be very dangerous at times, you should always be aware and have an exploring buddy with you. Glad your car was ok and hope you heal soon. To other members, if there is a dangerous situation at any location on here, please make a comment about it on the site. We need to look out for each other, otherwise, Happy Safe Exploring!
fiso View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote fiso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:33pm
Ever try it during daylight? :-)
Hope it turns out well, be safe.
timo explorer View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote timo explorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
Play safe my friends.  Hope you recover soon Bando, take good care.

I had the same thought about exploring in daylight.  There are so many obstacles that are hard to see, why make it more dangerous than it has to be.  That said, I usually explore all alone so I am also taking a chance.  I guess we accept the risks and carry on.
Talker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Talker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:17pm
Yikes--sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you seem to be okay (as well as the car!)

We all know there are dangers to the hobby, but it never hurts to be reminded that no matter how careful we are and how well equipped we are, things can happen. Best to always be prepared.

I wear nail-proof boots. A few weeks ago, I heard a scraping on the floor when I was walking, only to find that on the trip prior I had apparently stepped on a rusty iron nail. Without the boots, it would have been in my foot.

Stay safe!
PhotographicTime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotographicTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 1:54pm
OUCH, I hope your healing.  
[email protected]
facebook.com/photographictimecompany
crazy_cyclist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crazy_cyclist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:12pm
After falling through a deck (only one leg went down through the broken board) I now always carry my cell phone with me in my camera bag.  That was scary because I was on my bike and didn't know with the injury if I could make it home.  I did.  I now also carry a first aid kit in my saddle bag.

I only go exploring during the day.  I like to see what I'm getting myself into.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic