Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

County or Cit y

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mobileworks View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: County or Cit y
    Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 9:55am
When selecting a place for a new location, what's the rule of thumb for using City (eg  within so many miles?) or using County? They both are optioned but are usually changed by admin to the county.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 3:54pm
Honestly, I don't know. We've put all of Sudbury's outlying towns into Greater Sudbury, and then we have Woodstock and Oxford County as separate entries, so it appears there's no guideline in place.

If it's a smaller town, I'd go with the County. Larger cities such as Hamilton, Sudbury, Toronto, etc. can have their own city. I believe the idea was Clay's, to use counties - to avoid having hundreds of towns on the main page,

clay70 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote clay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:23pm
don't worry...I know all the location headers we have..it will find its way under the proper heading
timo explorer View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote timo explorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 7:13pm
Both Clay and I are very anal when it comes to proper locations/names/towns/cities/counties/etc.

We will make sure it ends up in the right place.  Its what we do.
mobileworks View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote mobileworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 1:24pm
Ok Great, got it, just thought that was more accurate, but thanks. [ They all show on the map, anyway, but not in the text county, I get it]............................................... Now hidden addresses don't show on the map but can they be a different colour at  the bottom with the other list of locations[ to click on and see where on the map it is] , so they aren't missed. They are only in text form, now [ I just have to remember to check that too].thanks guys and for your time spent on this site.  Have a GREAT SUMMER !! -jim
timo explorer View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote timo explorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:19pm
Just to confuse things even more, some counties are also divided up into townships.  All for the sake of accuracy of course.
If a certain county has 300 locations, then we are better off to narrow it down to the township, much less clutter and confusion.  Some folks never seem to know where they are and give us locations that are miles away from the actual location, making it more of a challenge.  I love maps, but only if they are accurate.
clay70 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote clay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:16pm
The Ontario Road Map makes it easy...the purple lines mark the lines and such...u can also use wiki if need be
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic