Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ontario Abandoned Places > Public Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calling Property Owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote aeb00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling Property Owners
    Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 10:04pm
Okay... I just want to get some opinions on this subject.

What are your thoughts on calling the property owners of all of the houses you explore...

You want to know the history.. and what better way then to get it straight from the source.

Annnnnd....... Go.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 10:45pm
If you play it from the angle you just drove by and are curious... sure. Mentioning you were inside, know of a point of entry or any situation where the owner could pay a visit and lock it up... no.

Most of the time you'll be met with suspicion because they want to know who you are and how you know their name.

Proceed with caution.
iii SparTanic View Drop Down
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iii SparTanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:17am
Why not ask before entering ? Like look in through a window, if it looks like there could be a story behind the property , call the owner and ask for the permission. Simply explain your hobby is to take photos of abandoned places and make sure you explain to them how the site works (member levels and such) and say with the owner'so permission you would like to add their property to your portfolio . Make sure to ask if you can post the photos and definitely document their consent (on film is best) to cover yourself. If you need property owner info let me know most of my family are real estate agents so I can definitely look into the property owner info for you.
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iii SparTanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:19am
Be friendly and respectful, tell them your name and if they ask how you got their information just say you searched the property on Google , which most of the time is an accurate way to find that information out
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iii SparTanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:22am
Using phrases like "it's to document the history of as many places as we can before they are forgotten or torn down" could also be a good idea.
Basic Member
Basic Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iii SparTanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:28am
It's actually kind of funny you put this post up OAP, I was gonna making a phone call to a property owner tomorrow to ask for permission, the owner is a friend of my mother's , so I'll see if I can record the phone call and video tape the consent for an example and make it available to those who could use a pointer or two.
Talker View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Talker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:50am
Doesn't that old saying go that it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission? The fact is, most people you ask--I know this from experience--will say no. Property owners are worried about liability (even if you offer to sign a waiver) and, quite frankly, don't understand us and what we do. If someone came up to you and asked you to let them around your home but promised they wouldn't touch, break, or take anything, you'd wonder what their problem is. Rural property owners have the same level of trust towards curious strangers. In the cities, you're typically dealing with development companies rather than individual people, who are even less concerned with your desire to photograph.

Don't get me wrong--I've gotten permission before, but only when I've tried and failed, erm... other ways.
aeb00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aeb00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:05am
I knew there were some different opinions on this subject. I'm really just curious to what people think about this.

Personally, I like to keep my visits under the radar. Typically with farmhouses on active land you'll be dealing with a farmer. These houses are pretty empty or used for storage usually.
Houses that were literally just left behind... Pictures, food, and all... I imagine there are some painful reasons for that and I really don't think someone would be in a good mood if I brought up to them how I know they had to leave all their posessions to rot somewhere and I want to photograph it... Lol.

I feel like calling a property owner draws attention to a hobby that is supposed to be under the radar. After that call they are more likely to monitor the property.

Of course I realize that it is in fact their property ... But that's the thing about this hobby... We are going places we're really not supposed to go. If you draw attention to that, steal, or vandalize things, you are ruining it for the next explorers and you are ruining someone's memories. The house will get sealed and monitored more closely and the property owners will not be so nice the next time around.

I'm 5'2 and a tiny little blonde with a camera... I can be quite charming when and if I get caught. ;)

Dave Summer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Summer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:41am
[QUOTE=iii SparTanic] make sure you explain to them how the site works (member levels and such) /QUOTE]

Please don't do this. Property owners may find other properties that they recognize on the site. Best to keep under the radar.
Cerulean View Drop Down
Full Member (T)
Full Member (T)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cerulean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:36pm
I was going to ask a property owner, who I knew, if I could see the house on a property that had been abandoned for years and was up for sale. I mentioned the house, and she said they were recently called there by the police for a trespasser. She seemed quite frustrated as they had a lot of trouble with trespassers and vandals.
Needless to say, I decided it was not a good time to go ahead ask her if I could see the house.
The house finally sold last year and I'm sure that is a load off her mind.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by iii SparTanic iii SparTanic wrote:

Simply explain your hobby is to take photos of abandoned places and make sure you explain to them how the site works (member levels and such).

Do not, I repeat do not, do this. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever.

Telling someone their property is on a website where other photographers can find it is not going to go over well. It means I'll be receiving a nasty message asking to remove the entry (even if they can't see it because it's FM). It means they'll be expecting more visitors. It means increased anger as they realize more people are entering upon their property.

Don't ever mention database sites or blogs or that you're going to be posting the content online.

If you do this, you'll receive a warning and if it happens again your account will be closed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic