The Paterson home built around 1862. In use until 1968. then used for
The old Suffields home. Sold to the Murrays in 1923 from a grandson of
the Suffield's (Mr. Albert Yelk) who was settling the estate. Then sold
in 1944 until the person died in 1978. It has sat unused since then.
The home of
Max Honeywell (est.1851). The Honeywells were respected stone workers
but were hired as millwrights and carpenters. They built the mill dams
for both mill sites and the grist mill. The Carpentry work in the saw
mill and grist mill was made by Albert, John, and Tremaine Honeywell.
Return to index of Grey Highlands|
Located in: Grey Highlands
To request this location be removed, submit a Report Location form.
Creation Date: 1/1/2006
Last Updated: 1/1/2006
James Paterson arrived at the Northern edge of Euphrasia Township (about 15 km south of Meaford on Cty Rd 112) in 1848. He along with seven other pioneering families established their farms nearby Hoerser Creek (since renamed Paterson Creek) a tributary of the Minniehill creek.
In 1856 Paterson built the first grist and saw mills in the Northern portion of Euphrasia Twp. Originally a small workers village of about a dozen wooden homes were built around the mill. The village took on the name of Patersons Mills.
A dairy was established by Fred Schomtz, who later added a cheese works around 1861.
Sometime in the early 1860's James Paterson became postmaster as well as a mill owner. It was around this time that the village name was changed to Blantyre. Todd Burns, the local blacksmith, suggested the name of his birthplace in Scotland, which was called Blantyre.
Paterson went on to add a woolen and carding mill in the late 1860's.
By this time, Blantyre had become a busy village containing three stores, a barrel maker, mills, blacksmith, tinsmith, two stage coaches (one to Meaford the other to Owen Sound), Orson Wilright's Tavern/Hotel, a school, and a wagon maker.
With the arrival of the railway in the 1870's, the population of approximately 150 residents began to decline slowly. The railway constructed a small station half a mile south of the village. The Hooper Grain company built a small elevator nearby to cash in on the small prosperous grain trade in the area. While it didn't compare with those western elevators, it carried a maximum capacity of 10,000 bushels.
There were three churches in the village. The Catholic and Anglican churches were built around 1863-67, while a Seventh Day Adventist church was built a quarter mile out south of town. It was later moved to Temple Hill, a small settlement a little further south of Blantyre around 1900. The Seventh Day Adventist Church burnt in 1954. The Catholic Church was eventually removed stone by stone to a nearby farm and reassembled as a foundation for a barn.
All the postmasters in town were Patersons. Alfred Charles was the last post master in town. The post office closed sometime between 1920-1924.
Thank you to Gordon Paterson for contributing the information and photographs. Gordon spent much of his childhood (from 1942-1957) in Blantyre. He recalls visiting the charred remains of the church the day after the fire as well as being told tales of the village by his grandfather. His great great grandfather was James Paterson. Gordon left the family fam in 1957, and it was sold in 1964.
Today there isn't much there except for a few buildings at the intersection, and some mill ruins. Most of these buildings date back to the community's heyday in the 1860's.
|Abandoned houses may be dangerous! Read the LEGAL DISCLAIMER.
Always obtain permission before entering someone else's property.
Home of Tremaine Honeywell, occupied until 1940 after previous
owner Mrs. Alva Johnson passed away.
home of John Mathews Yates. Built in 1867, burnt in 1869, and rebuilt.
Ocupied by Bill Huxley until 1949, and used as storage until the 1970's.
The house lost its roof about 15 years ago.
Richard Dunsmore home, originally a millwright. He maintained
the two mlls until his death in 1869. the house was in use until 1954.
It was taken down in 1997.