Ontario Abandoned Places
Archiving Canada's Abandoned Structures Before They're Gone


Province:

Location #:

Quick Search:


BEALES MILL


Location
BEALES MILLS (GHOST TOWN)
Database location #406
Public Location
Author
Created by OAP (CONTACT)
This member has donated.
Creation Date: 1/1/2006
Last Photos Uploaded: 1/1/2006

Information
EDIT THIS ENTRY
Beales Mill began in the 1860’s when Benjamin Beale settled in an area of Leeds County approximately 1.5 kilometres from Charleston. Bales began construction of a home and a mill alongside a creek that would take on his name.

Over time, Beales Mill added a grist-mill and flower mill and went into shingle production. The mills were kept busy with area farmers, many of whom had arrived from south of the border. Situated beside a waterfall, the mills had ample water for mill power while Charleston did not.

Mail delivery for Beales Mill was likely serviced out of Charleston as Beales Mill did not have their own post office. The mills continued operation into the early 20th century. Charleston contained two hotels, a blacksmith, cooper and the Slack & Foster sawmill.

The remains of the mill can be found along the waterfalls. Look for Beales Mill Road off of County Road 5.

Options
map this location

Geocaches


There are no comments for this location.


No recent activity.
Mudge's Mill
Mudge's Mill
Mudge's Mill
The wharf at Charleston Lake in 1905

Mudge's Mill
Foster's Hotel in Charleston (after 1898)
Mudge's Mill
An early map of the area
Wharf photo (C 130-2-0-0-15) Foster's Hotel (C 130-1-0-7-2)
Images courtesy of the Archives of Canada