The grand opening of the YDHR was celebrated on the 14th of September, 1996. It included gala celebrations in both Stouffville and Uxbridge and thousands of residents of both municipalities joined in the celebrations.
The opening ceremonies were held on the 125th anniversary of the grand opening of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway in 1871. The YDHR offers a 20 km train ride from Uxbridge to Stouffville along the former CN Uxbridge Subdivision line. The line officially ends at Stouffville.
The YDHR is active today and through the help of generous volunteers, plans to be active into the forseeable future.
Passengers board at either station for the two and a half hour journey. Train service operates from June through to October.
Travel is on railway cars dating from the 1920's and pulled by an Alco RS-11 diesel locomotive (1956). The locomotive is known as "The Moraine Train" because the journey is through the Oak Ridges Moraine.
In Uxbridge, the "witch's hat" train station (built 1904) has been preserved as a railway museum and can be found on Railway Street. It is owned and maintained by the Township of Uxbridge.
The Stouffville railway station can be found on Main Street.
The YDHR is also independent of the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville in addition to it being independent of the Township of Uxbridge.
The following photos were taken at the Uxbridge end.