Wilson's Hill Cemetery was donated by James and Mary Wilson, to the United Presbyterian Congregation of Essa, June 26th, 1858.
The following historical info is taken from a logbook at the entrance to the cemetery.
“Although this property was not deeded to the First Essa Presbyterian Church by the Wilson's until 1858, there were burials for at least a quarter century before that date. The earliest tombstone date that could be found was that of a one year old child (Ellen Sutherland), dated 1839. The last burial was that of William McClain Dinwoody who died in 1957. He was the last surviving son of the first white child born in Essa Twp.
The first Essa settlers, the George Dinwoody's and the Thomas Duff's are buried here. The remains of the Duff's were later re-interred in the Aurora Cemetery.
The Nevil's plot contains the remains of six children who all died within one week – a grim reminder of the once-dreaded diphtheria.
The Harper plot contains the remains of Bert Harper who lost his life in a futile effort to save a life in 1901. A monument to Bert Harper stands in front of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa.
The original entrance to the cemetery was originally off what is now Highway 27. In 1926, the Department of Highways purchased this lower piece of land(the current entrance of the 12th Concession) and deeded it to the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
A tomstone bears the name of Hapentobe Hindle. Apparently three brides on a sailing vessel coming to Canada were very pregnant. Bets were made about which would give birth first. It happened to be Mrs. Hindle…..thus the name.”
The cemetery was meticulously cared for by Neil J. McBride for many years, until his passing in 1985. A plaque has been erected by his late wife to give thanks for his dedication to preserving the resting place of so many of the areas first pioneers. Although the cemetery is occasionally tended to, mostly it sits forgotten, unseen in its location at the top of Wilson's Hill.