The strong smell of creosote still lingers in the air but the distinct sounds of an electric train are long gone. This all timber constructed trestle rail bridge was built circa 1903 after a by-law was passed by the Town of Berlin [ renamed Kitchener 1916] to extend its freight line. This rare bridge is now repurposed as a rail trail bridge, taking a much needed break from the weight of freight. Upon a closer look the vertical support beams have shifted a little but the design was meant to give. It is just east of West Ave. and at the edge of Victoria Park on a 5km strip of abandoned right-of-way of the Grand River Railway. Originally built as the Preston and Berlin Railway, the rights were transferred to the Hamilton Radial Electric Railway Company in 1900 and then back to the P&B after it was up and running. The electrically-operated rail line connected Berlin and Waterloo to the Canadian Pacific Railway at Galt[later came buses as well], Preston and Hespeler and some smaller towns. The bridge and the Preston and Berlin Railway were constructed by A.A.McDonald & Co. In 1908 the Preston & Berlin Street Railway and the Galt, Preston & Hespeler Street Railway were amalgamated , under the name Berlin, Waterloo, Wellesley & Lake Huron Railway Company [the B.W.W.& L. H. R. Co. lol ! for short ], and leased to the Canadian Pacific Railway for 99 years. In 1914, the name was changed to the Grand River Railway Company Limited. Originally the rail bridge had two tracks but when one line closed a walking trail was made next to the remaining track, as seen on the bridge.