Oxford Centre United Church Cemetery is taken care of by Norwich Township. Norwich pronounced Nor-wich differs from the English who pronounce it Nor-ij. Norwich was founded by two Quaker men from New York, Peter Lossing and Peter De Long. In 1799, the township of Norwich was laid out by surveyor William Hambly into 200 acre lots. On August 7th, 1979 almost 37 years to this day a tornado left a path of destruction through this town levelling the Anglican church completely. It also took the roof off the United Church[built 1860], but did not damage a single stain glass window. Two people died, one of which a senior succumbed a few months later, never returning from the hospital. The Anglican church destroyed was built in 1867 and people brought many pieces of it back from miles away, including some stain glass windows. They rebuilt it to original specs only to have it again badly damaged beyond repair, in June 1998. It was not rebuilt and the congregation went to Otterville ON.