The Nipissing Colonization Road is a 120 kilometer road which runs from Lake Rosseau to Lake Nipissing. The road was the result of the Ontario government's attempt to attract settlers to the area where they would build homesteads and serve as labour for the forestry industry. Construction began on the road in 1864 where the road began to make it's way through towns like Magnetewan, Bummer's Roost, Rye and Commanda.
By 1870 the road was open for sleigh travel in winter and for wagon travel by 1875. As travel along the road was both slow and rugged, both traveller and horses required rest. To accomodate them, small towns and hotel/taverns sprang up along the road approximately every 10 kilometres.
Some of these towns (from south to north) included: Ashdown Corners, Seguin Falls, Dufferin Bridge, Rock Hill, Spence, Magnetewan, Bummer's Roost, Rye and Commanda.