In 1926, mining activity started north of Chelmsford, specifically in the townships of Foy and Bowell, about fifteen miles north of Chemlsford. This mining development based on nickel and copper work first under the name of Dennie Mine, then known as the Sudbury Offset soon to become the Nickel Offset. This entry is for the number 2 Nickel Offset shaft.
The number 2 shaft was sunk in 1944 to 187 ft with crosscut driven 214 ft to the 155 ft level. In 1946 the #2 shaft deepened to 634 ft & 3 stations cut at 150 ft intervals below the 155 ft level.