This georgian style limestone building was built c. 1850. The Guelph Civic Museum were looking for something newer. They found one just up the street on Norfolk, the Loretto Convent, built in 1856. Now vacant, this building was owned by the Knights of Columbus before the museum , but was better known as Mrs. Black's Boarding House. It was also a doctors office at one time as well.The Guelph Historical Society was formed e in 1962 collecting articles of historical interest. This building became available in 1977 and the Guelph Civic Museum opened on International Museums's Day May 18 , 1980 and closed June 30, 2011. It is owned by the city of Guelph , for now, but the outside of the building is permanently protected from change.