This cross-roads Pioneer Hamlet half a mile east of here, was settled about 1840. It was the site of Collins' Toll Gate when the old plank road was built in 1851. By 1866 there was a stage coach stop,Thomas Armstrong's Bay Horse Inn, C. Heasting's Crown Inn, a blacksmith, grocer, mason, carpenter, dressmaker, shoemaker and a school. Lieut.-Col. Richard Tyrwhitt, M.P. from 1882 to 1896, a commander in the Northwest Rebellion of 1885, was a distinguished resident. The Village declined as transportation improved.