Taken from the Ontario Historic Plaque, found at this site:
"This pioneer squared-timber church, one of the few remaining examples of its type in Ontario, was begun in 1872 and completed the next year. Following the surveys of Stephenson Township in 1862 and 1871 and the extension of the Muskoka Road to the site of Huntsville in 1870, many settlers took up land in this area. One of these, John Madill, donated an acre of land for the church and burying ground and the members of the congregation contributed the logs. The first services were conducted by itinerant missionaries of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Although no longer in regular use, an annual service is still held here by The United Church of Canada."
Madill Church is located just south of Huntsville. Old Muskoka Road was the original development road and, at the time the church was built, it served the local farming community. Built in 1872-73 by Wesleyan Methodists, it is one of Ontario's few remaining squared, white pine log buildings with dovetailed corners. It was named after John Madill, the settler who donated the land for the building.
The original features of the church include: the floors, walls, wainscoting, lectern, pews, oil lamps, pump organ and stove. Pictures of early parishioners can still be seen on the walls. The church still holds two services a year: one the third Sunday in July, the other the first Sunday after Thanksgiving.