Ontario Abandoned Places
Photographs and stories from thousands of abandoned houses across Canada
Create A Location
City: Algoma District
Creation Date: 1/22/2011
Last Updated: 1/22/2011
This small cemetery is the final resting place of 2 dozen men and women from the 19th and 20th centuries. Few markers remain, due to time, weather and more recently vandals.
The oldest artifact in remaining in the Wawa-Michipicoten area is the headstone of Louisa Mackenzie. She was the wife of Angus Bethune, the chief factor of the Fort Michipicoten Hudson's Bay post, located across the river from this site. She died in 1833. Her headstone was shattered by vandals in the early 1990s but the town has managed to recover all the pieces and restore her marker.
Louisa Mackenzie's father, Roderick was a partner in the forming of the Northwest Company, and was cousin to the famous explorer Alexander Mackenzie who was the first European to cross North America, in 1793. He stayed at the Michipicoten post on his journey.
Louisa was also great-grandmother to Doctor Norman Bethune, who discovered the cure for tuberculosis in the early 1900's. Doctor Bethune is most noted for his work in training the Chinese in the ways of modern medicine before the start of the Second World War. He also set up the first mobile blood transfusion unit while fighting fascist regimes in Europe. The Chinese have honoured him with a statue and plaque at his gravesite in China, also naming a hospital, a medical school and a museum after him. There is also a wonderful museum and memorial at his home in Gravenhurst, Ontario. He died in 1939.
Also buried here is Willaim T. Richardson, former lighthouse keeper who died in 1925 at the Gargantua Harbour lighthouse.
A sign marks the trailhead to the small cemetery.
Created by: timo explorer
Create Photo Gallery
Google Maps are only shown to logged in members.
To request this location be removed,