Early German pioneer settlers of the area.
The plaque on the monument reads as follows:
*This Monument is placed to mark the site of
St. James Lutheran Church, Founded 1882,
and merged with St. Paul Lutheran Church, Wallace Twp, 1972,
and in memory of the faithful members
"who rest from their labours" in "God's Acre"
St. Jacobs - German for St. James.
In the early 1800s, by custom, men sat on one side of the sanctuary, women on the other. Here, they lay together.