Hybla does not appear to be a ghost town in 2009 but compared to its mining/railway days it is. It is located north of Bancroft on the Hybla Road and is actually marked by signage. Founded by George Augustus Bartlett who, noticing the number of bees around, named the place after the classic Roman town of Hybla which he recalled was famous for its honey.
The railway came to Hybla in 1907. Prior to that it was a farm settlment on the main road to Bancroft. The rail line and local McDonald Mine (feldspar) brought it into existence with its own train station. It had 2 stores, boarding houses, churches, a blacksmith and a sawmill.
The mine's wagons pulled their load into town to the train station. Things were busy in Hybla. But that was to change with the closure of the mines. By the 1950's the boarding houses had burned and the station was moved to become a part of a family's home. The rails were lifted in the 1980's.
Only 3 original buildings are left: a store, a home and an abandoned Hybla Gospel Tabernacle which is hidden behind some trees.