Still an active community, with lots of old heritage buildings, some abandoned and some still active. The village recently held a heritage festival to celebrate is long history.
The following text is from the Ontario Historical Plaque that can be found in the village.
"In 1830 Lewis Horning, a successful settler from the Hamilton area, located in this vicinity with his family. He cleared 32 ha of land and built a sawmill, grist-mill and frame house, but later returned to Hamilton. With the opening of a government road through the district in 1848, the few families who had settled near Horning were joined by others and a post office was opened in 1851. The locality's excellent water power attracted industry and by the closing decades of the century the village boasted six or seven mills, various tradesmen and shopkeepers, a public school, three churches and approximately 350 inhabitants. Horning's Mills was an important pioneer settlement in this region of Ontario."
One sad note is that the Knox Presbyterian Church, which was one of the original churches in Horning's Mills, and one of the first in Ontario to have electricity, was recently torn down due to neglect and a lack of parishioners.