Back in the 1860's one of the colonization roads that was built to open the north land to immigrants and the lumber companies was the Burleigh Rd. . It extended from Burleigh Falls up to Cheddar and then continued up past Wilberforce to the old Peterson Rd. Some of these northern sections have been reclaimed by the forest (in Haliburton County).
Near the bottom of the Burleigh Road's route north from Burleigh Falls was the post office community of Haultain. Its 1st post office (run by the Stone family from 1866-1890) stood on Julian Lake where the modern hamlet of Woodview is located; however, Haultain's real location existed where the Eels Creek passes under the road.
The photos below show the 2 main homes that stood beside the former bridge on the road, which was bypassed when the highway was slightly re-routed.
The hill to the north was very hard to get up in the 1920's and so sometimes drivers would put their cars in reverse to generate enough power to get up it. At the top of the hill on the east side was a farm originally owned by Richard Spencer.
Other communities along this route once included (from south to north): Burleigh Falls, Big Cedar, Woodview, Haultain, Burleigh Centre, Apsley, Kidds Corners and the ghost town of Cheddar..
For Haultain's Post Office History read the link below.