The village of Harmony existed at the corners of Harmony Road and Highway 2 in what was once the Township of East Whitby (now Oshawa). A little over a century or so ago, Harmony was a little hamlet east of Oshawa on the old Kingston Rd. Settlement first began in the area in 1801 by the Farewell family.
Growth of the town to the west eventually ended up with Harmony being swallowed up by the City of Oshawa during the 1950s. In order to widen Highway 2 to four lanes to accommodate the high volume of traffic at the east end of the city, many of the original homes of Harmony were demolished, and the Farewell Pioneer Cemetery was moved south on Harmony.
Unknown Burial Ground- In 2007 while digging behind St Gertrude's Church human remains were found in an unregistered cemetery. There is evidence that these bones belonged to the first settlers. Today this cemetery is gated off with a cross that reads "In Remembrance of all those who are buried here".
Possible last names of the early pioneers buried here include: Farewell, Pickell, Stone, Annis, Rogers, Wilson, Coryell and Dearborn.