Part of what was once the Windfields Industrial Complex, this farmstead sits abandoned on Winchester Road in Oshawa, waiting for the 407 to plow through it. The house has been purged of anything of value, including copper pipes, and sits sadly waiting for the wrecking ball.
The one and a half story vernacular farmstead was built in the 1840s, on property that belonged at the time to a Mrs Harriet Cock. Harriet Trevithick was born in 1791 in England. On January 26, 1818 Harriet wed William Cock. Poor Willy died in 1819, a prosperous grocer. He left Mrs Cock a rich woman. Cock emigrated to Canada from England in 1842, along with her only child, her daughter Harriet, and her manservant. She bought three pieces of land in Whitby East, as well as some property on Georgian Bay. The 1871 cencus finds Mrs Cock an 80 year old widow, living in the house with a farmer, her 23 year old grandson William Guy, and 17 year old Farm Servant Joseph Vallant. At the time, Mrs Cock also had residing with her 19 year old Elizabeth Graham who was employed as her house servant. Elizabeth was the daughter of Henry Graham, who farmed nearby on the 6th concession.