Ontario Abandoned Places
Photographs and stories from thousands of abandoned houses across Canada

Franz (ghost town)



Location #171
Basic MemberPublic
Status: Unknown
user avatar
Created By:OAP
Creation Date: 1/1/2006
Last Updated: 2/20/2020
donateAdministratorFull MemberDonated TimeWebsiteGold Star
Built in 1912 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, the station at Franz served for decades as an interchange yard and passenger connection. In better days, Franz boasted a booming economy in forestry, transportation and mining. The original name for this rural community was Hobon. In 1914, the post office name was changed to Franz, and the CPR station name was altered from the Hobon to Franz Station. Franz is located 65 km from Chapleau. For an excellent web page on Franz, click here.

The railway at Franz is where the CPR and the Algoma Central Railways cross, literally. Here the two railways intersect at 90 degree angle. A switchbox nearby shows the status of the four rail lines

The old station was moved to Dubreuilville, the water tower foundation remains as to some of the older homes as well as a newer home which seems to be occupied. Lots of railway junk litters the area. The church used to be behind the water tower.

DIRECTIONS: From Hwy 17 West, turn right on Hwy 519, drive 35 km to Magpie Industrial Rd (3km before Dubreuilville). Drive to crossing turn left and follow signs to Franz. The road is driveable in a car (year round), but may be rough at times.



Old Photos
Franz (ghost town)
Created on:2/20/2000
Created by: OAP
15 photos



Address
Google Maps are only shown to logged in members.

GPS:

Comments
mercier
mercier 10/23/2009 9:58:33 PM

went through this place on night train back in 1954.quite 'fantomatic'


Alert iconTo request this location be removed, Click Here.